Sunday, August 7, 2011

Tradition

Like most people I know, I grew up with certain traditions in my family.  For as long as I can remember, Christmas Eve meant I received a new pair of PJ's.  Now, we give our children special PJ's on Christmas Eve.
Growing up my family would spend our summer vacation in Destin, Florida.  Most of my teen and early college years we would all make the trip to Destin to spend a week at the condo and soak up the Florida sun. Our trips were usually always the last week in July.  This meant we would celebrate my dad's birthday while on vacation. 
On our way back home we would stop in Pensacola to visit an aunt and uncle.  Our tradition was to stop and eat at this little place called Flounders.  My dad loves it and so do we. They have the best po-boys and a triple layer key lime pie! It makes my mouth water a little to think of it.
My parents left Coral Springs yesterday afternoon.  We had lunch together at one of our favorite new south Florida places, Flannigan's in Deerfield Beach.   My brother loved the dolphin fingers so much he ordered another serving of them (note: we do not eat Flipper, this is the dolphin fish). It was sad to have to say good-bye to them again.  It was very difficult last October and then again at Christmas.  It was no easier yesterday.
Today is my dad's birthday.  And as the tradition goes, on their way home to Memphis they stopped in Pensacola this afternoon to have lunch at Flounders with my aunt and uncle.  He had an oyster po-boy and shared a piece of key lime pie with everyone.  I hate I missed out on our family tradition.  Happy Birthday daddy! I miss you already!

No comments: