Sunday, August 21, 2011

Kindness...

From a young age I was taught to be kind.  To show kindness.  I guess I assumed most children were/will be taught from a young age how to treat others.
Today, I learned a difficult lesson.  Unfortunately, I learned this lesson while watching an unkind act unfold in front of me.  My son was the person to bare the brunt of it.  This was heartbreaking.  It made me angry.  It made me want to snatch up the kids and tell them a thing or two.
Landon had his meet and greet at school today.  He starts the first grade on Monday.  He is very excited. He approached two girls he knew from last school year.  They are both his age as well.  He said "hi" and asked if the girls remembered him. Both were rather rude and condescending for 6 year-olds.  Instead of being polite or humoring him, they mocked him.  A few minutes later I saw one of the girls purposely shove Landon and told him in an ugly tone to go away.
Needless to say, I was shocked at this rude, mean, and just unkind act.  Landon had his feelings hurt.  I asked him to brush it off so the girls get satisfaction in seeing him upset.


It made me ask, "what are kids being taught these days"?  If parents can not, will not, or do not practice or teach anything else when it comes to others, please teach your children to be kind.  Kindness can go a long way.  No one deserves to be treated unkindly for any reason.  
I am hoping Landon's first week of school goes better than his meet and greet!  Hopefully someone, some day will teach those little girls a lesson or at least give them a dose of their own medicine so they know how it feels.  Maybe then they will think twice about being so unkind to another person!

Off my soap box....moving on!

1 comment:

Samantha said...

oooohhh that burns me up! i woulda snatched those two little brats up! being mean to our baby. jerk faces