Saturday, December 18, 2010

Home....

A week from today is Christmas. It seems utterly impossible that the year has gone by as quick as it has. Our family has gone through major changes within the past few months. A new job, a new city, new home, new school, new daycare, etc. I think we all have adjusted well. We have been and continue to be so blessed.
We will be heading home to see our families next Thursday. It will be a long 16 hour drive there and back for a very brief visit. I am looking forward to Christmas morning with my mom, dad, and brother like it used to be before marriage and children of my own came into the picture. Only this time we will have the innocence and awe of children to fill my childhood home once again.
Though we have made Florida our new home, Memphis will always be home. Where our families are. Where both me and husband grew up. Where we fell in love and got married. Where our children were born.
We have been warned that winter has not been too kind to the bluff city. It has been bitterly cold. There have been episodes of snow flurries. I was reminded today by my dad that for the past 29 years or so I would wish for a white Christmas and white birthday (January baby) each year. I love the snow. I love how the air gives the fore-telling that snow is on it's way. The air becomes crisp and smells clean and you just know when you wake up in the morning there will be snow to greet you. I love the purity of it and how the sun bounces off of it making it and everything around it, sparkle. My dad told me while working out in the snow flurries last night he was inwardly cursing my little/big girl wishes (well not so much cursing but blaming me for the falling snow).
I have to say it doesn't feel like winter now that we are in southern Florida. Landon said the other day he couldn't wait for it to snow. I told him it more than likely would not snow in Florida (it might happen, right?). He said something like "we'll see". You have to love how children think anything is possible! It hasn't quite felt like the holiday season. I am not wishing for the white stuff this holiday since we will be traveling in it. But I am looking forward to a brief stint of colder weather, visiting family and friends, and sharing the holiday spirit at home.

No comments: